Alluri Seetarama Raju is like my Bible: Mahesh

The media-shy actor contends during an interaction with this correspondent that ‘Srimanthudu’s content is strong. Hence, the extra bit of effort to see to it that the promotions target people of every age-group, including in the interiors. The film revolves around a Hyderabad- based multi-millionaire protagonist Harsha (played by Mahesh) who adopts a village. (Incidentally, in real life, the doting son has only recently adopted his father’s birthplace. Yesteryear superstar Krishna hails from Burripalem in Tenali rural mandal).

Ask him whether the film’s plot inspired him to do so, he says, “Mid-way into the shooting of the film, my brother-in-law Jay Galla suggested that it would be nice if I adopt a village. I so much liked the idea that pronto I wished to nurture my dad’s birthplace. After ‘Srimanthudu’ releases, I’ll sit down with Jay (Guntur Lok Sabha member) and chalk out a plan on how to go about developing the village.”

A 15-year-old veteran in the industry, Mahesh feels he has experimented enough, although he has not always succeeded.“My experiments such as ‘Takkari Donga’ (he played a cowboy), ‘Nani’, and ‘1: Nenokkadine’ failed. Today when the budgets are so high, I don’t think you can be so irresponsible and experiment. You have to be a little commercial. That’s what I learnt over the years. Suppose if I get an experimental flick, I’ll do it definitely but I will make sure that I don’t repeat my past errors.”

‘Srimanthudu’ is being dubbed into Tamil as ‘Selvandhan’ and will release simultaneously with the Telugu original, on August 7. Admitting that he wants to expand his market into newer vistas, he points out, “It was only a month ago that we decided to dub it in Tamil. Our cameraman Madhie hit upon the idea and we endorsed it straightaway. I wanted to dub in Tamil but my busy schedule didn’t permit me so.”

Moving forward, he is ready to feature in Telugu-Tamil bilinguals. “If the stories have universal appeal, I will not to be averse to bilinguals.” Mahesh’s father Krishna recently said that he wants to see his son playing the role of a Bond. Stating that he is game to meet his father’s wishes, he says, “He wants me to breathe life into new kind of cinema. 

Even I would love to do them but the fact is that to make it a reality one needs a good script and a director, who can pull it off. Having said that I can categorically reassure you that if the proposal materialises, I will be ready.” However, he is not ready to remake his father’s classic ‘Alluri Seetarama Raju’. “I don’t want to spoil such a great film. It’s like my Bible. I must have seen it 100 times. Such films should never be remade.”

Though ‘Srimanthudu’ is dubbed as a film which has a universal appeal, Mahesh is apprehensive about its’ Bollywood prospects. “It’s a regional concept and that is it. Let’s not get carried away.” Mahesh, for now, has no Bollywood ambitions. “To be honest I don’t have time. Many people want me to do two films per year but I’m only making a film per year.”

Earn Daily 2.5 Lakhs and Join Now