Exclusive Interview: 'Mahesh is One of Best Actors in India'

After directing Prabhas in Mirchi, writer-turned-director Koratala Siva turned out to be sought-after filmmaker. After a lot of dilly dallying, Siva managed to team up with Superstar Mahesh Babu for Srimanthudu. Ahead of film's release (Aug 7), Koratala Siva gets candid in an exclusive chat.

What is Srimanthudu about?
Srimanthudu is simple tale of Harsha (Mahesh) who keeps aside his riches and wants to give something back to society. He finds out that there is happiness in distributing what he has.
Mahesh too adopted a village in real-life. What's the Inspiration behind the film? 
There is no true inspiration behind the film. I've had this thought for sometime. Narrated the story to Mahesh garu during the shooting of Aagadu and he had immediately asked me who're the technicians going to working for the film. It means, he was quite impressed with story and has no qualms. Mahesh garu adopting a village in real-life is very good thing. 
Has Heroism taken a back seat in the film?
No, not at all. Sharing what we have is the bigger heroism than anything else. Isn't it? Srimanthudu has all elements including high-octane action sequences to satiate Mahesh's fans. 
On Mahesh Babu:
Mahesh Babu is undoubtedly one of the best actors in country. He is perfect for Srimanthudu. He acts with ease. There are times where I've said okay to take but Mahesh is not convinced and asks for improvement. He is dedicated and committed actor. Not many know that he is jovial, light-hearted person. He cracks jokes and keeps people in splits all the time.
On Shruti Haasan:
Shruti is apt for the role. She is good and talented actress. The on-screen chemistry between Shruti and Mahesh worked out well. Since it's first-time, theyr'e pairing up together, there's a lot of focus on the duo.
Jagapathi Babu and Sukanya as Mahesh Parents. How did they come on board?I was little apprehensive before approaching Jagapathi garu as I'm not sure whether he takes up role of father for Mahesh. But as soon as he listened to the story, he said he will be doing the role. Roping in Sukanya garu as Mahesh's mother was coincidental. Jagapathi garu and Sukanya garu haven't met after Peddarikam. Srimanthudu made it possible.
How confident are you on the film's success? 
I'm pretty much confident. But I want my work to speak for myself. I don't believe in a director's style. I believe that a story/film has its own style and director follows it. Attributing that style to director is not fair. If a director sets up his own style and follows it, he may not sustain longer as people get used to his style and gets bored.
You're a successful writer. When did you realise to wield the megaphone? What provoked you to turn as director?
As a writer, I could narrate my story to only small group of people. But if I turn into director, I could narrate my story to larger section of people. I didn't see much difference between a film writer or film director as both narrate the story.
What are your upcoming projects?
I'm eagerly waiting for the release of Srimanthudu. I've not thought about my next projects yet. But I've two to three scripts with me. After Srimanthudu, I'll take a call on which one to pick.
Will you direct the film in Hindi if you get a chance?
Srimanthudu has universal appeal. I think story of Srimanthudu would definitely work in Hindi as there it could reach to larger audiences. But I'm not game for remakes usually. That's why I didn't do Mirchi in Hindi. But if I found a strong reason, I don't mind directing Srimanthudu in Hindi.
Any plans to direct Prabhas again?
Prabhas is currently busy with Baahuabli II. After this, he has a commitment. Let's see, if we both are free after that, we might work together.Are you open to working with newcomers? Will you introduce new actors/actresses?
I'm fond of doing experiments. I'd like to make a film like Seethakoka Chiluka. If I believe that newcomers would do justice to my script, I'll definitely work with them.

Earn Daily 2.5 Lakhs and Join Now